The cathedral dedicated to Saint Stephen, founded in 1137, was redesigned in the 13th century. The remodelling of the North Tower in Gothic style was completed in the 14th and 15th centuries. In 1945, the cathedral was set alight and destroyed by flying sparks from a neighbouring shop, which had been set on fire by plunderers. It was rebuilt and given a new bell in 1952: the „Pummerin“ (boomer). South Tower: 136 m, North Tower 68 m.