Zentralfriedhof – Luegerkirche
Vienna’s Central Cemetery was opened in 1874 and is the second-largest cemetery in the world. At the centre is the cemetery church “Zum Hl. Karl Borromäus” designed by Otto Wagner student Max Hegele. Constructed in 1910, it today counts among the most important Art Nouveau church buildings.
Numerous honorary graves are found in the Central Cemetery: Mozart, Schubert, Johann Strauß, Josef Lanner, Hugo Wolf, Joe Zawinul, Falco, Bruno Kreisky, Friedrich Hacker, Josef Hoffmann, etc.
The Central Cemetery comprises the multi-confessional “main cemetery”, along with cemeteries for various religious persuasions: Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, Jews, Russian Orthodox and Buddhist